Maternal and Family Health Services’ programs touch the lives of over 90,000 people each year and empower individuals and families of diverse backgrounds to lead healthier lives. Our mission of empowerment, inclusion, and caring extends to our valued staff as well. We are better together because of our diversity, recognition of differences as strengths, and commitment to providing a culture of acceptance internally as well as to the people we serve.
Working to meet the health and nutritional needs of women, children and families with information, education, and quality care, MFHS is currently seeking a full time Program Assistant for our WIC (Women, Infants and Children) program in Wilkes-Barre.
The Program Assistant is responsible for the collection of data and the performance of screenings for client eligibility determination. The position performs duties to assure the delivery of WIC benefits and nutrition education to eligible clients in accordance with organizational goals and program procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Explain the purpose of the program and provide an overview of what to expect during the appointment. Explain the “WIC Rules” and “Participant’s Rights and Responsibilities”.
- Verify identification and residency of all applicants/participants; verify income eligibility; ask about voter registration status.
- Perform and record hematological and anthropometric measurements.
- Provide and document nutrition and breastfeeding contacts according to policy.
- Provide food instruments and explain the food list and procedure for use of E-WIC card.
- Provide and document appropriate and required referrals to clients.
- Schedule WIC appointments per set guidelines.
- Attend regular training sessions and updates as directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Associates Degree preferred by not required
- 1-3 years’ experience preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Child Abuse, PA Criminal Record & FBI Clearances
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to perform operations with units involved in measuring and weighing
- Basic math skills such as adding, subtraction, division and reducing fractions
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. regularly
- Constant standing, turning, twisting, reaching and sitting for long periods of time
- Occasional pushing, pulling, squatting and walking